Filed underWhat's Trending
It seems as though 2013 has been the summer of skirts. At least for me it has been. I looked back at the last few episodes of “44 On The Town” and realized that it seems as though all I own is skirts (and that I love yellow!). For some reason I’ve just been drawn to skirts lately. Whether it’s a mini, midi or a maxi, I love them all! However each skirt has different rules for how to wear them.
Mini skirts are probably one of the easiest skirts to wear and when I say “mini” I don’t mean tiny.. for purposes of this post, anything a few inches above the knee will be considered a mini-skirt. They range in pattern, colors and material and can be worn at all different types of functions.
- Fit is very important when it comes to any skirt, but especially a mini; you can run the risk of being too revealing.
- If you plan on wearing heels with your mini-skirt, use the “fingertip rule,” meaning when you put your fingers down by your sides the skirt length should be at or below them.
- If you are wearing a mini-skirt and heels, I recommend wearing a loose-fitting blouse or one that covers your shoulders; feature one body part at a time.
- Wear your shorter mini-skirts more causal by pairing them with a tucked in t-shirt and a pair of flats.
See some examples on how to style a mini-skirt below.
- Make sure that you don’t get a skirt that is too full, meaning too much pleating. This can make you look larger on the bottom than you are.
- Belts are a great addition to midis and can really help define your waist.
- It’s important to wear sky-high heels with a midi, this makes your legs look like they go on for days.
- My last tip for wearing a midi-skirt is to make sure that you wear a well-fitting shirt, I like to wear sleeveless. (See first picture below.)
A great place to find good midi-skirts is at thrift stores. They have a ton of them and they’re super affordable!
Credit: Tara Wikoff/CW44
Maxi-skirts are a lazy girls best friend. Throw on a hat, tank top and a cute pair of sandals are you’ve got a great summer look. We’ve written about maxis here, here and here. Obviously we enjoy them here at CW44.com (does this mean we’re lazy?).
- Maxi skirts can be worn all types of ways, whether you want to dress them up or down.
- I recommend wearing a well-fitting top or a sleeveless shirt when styling your maxi. You want to make sure that you don’t have too much material on.
- Maxi skirts can become very hot if you’re planning to wear it for an outdoor event, so keep that in mind when planning to wear yours.
- Any maxi dress can be turned into maxi skirt simply by tying a shirt up over the top of the dress. This is also a great trick for a strapless dress that never stays up.
Credit: Tara Wikoff/CW44
What’s your favorite skirt out of the three?
Tara Wikoff/CW44 Tampa Bay